Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a victim of domestic abuse and filed a restraining order…

Customer Question
I'm a victim of...

I'm a victim of domestic abuse and filed a restraining order against the offender. I was recently put on leave from work and was told that I may only return if I get a medical and mental evaluation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time salaried employment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been with the company since it's founding in 2005

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/10/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. What specific questions did you have for me today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was recently the victim of domestic violence and because of how I was affected emotonally and mentally, my employer put me on a 1 week leave of absence. I was told, in essence, to come back with a full physical medical and a mental evaluation, stating that I was fit to return to work. Is this legal? And, im I entited to family leave benefit to deal with the issue?
Have you been diagnosed with any emotional or mental illness at all?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I have not. Events leading up to the abuse caused a noticeable difference in my attitude. I thought about seeing a leave myself but worried it would reflect poorly on me so I didn't. When I was put on leave, my employer said that when i originally told her of the incident and police involvement, and that I was scraped and bruised, that she didn't see any signs of this. It's because I covered it up to avoid notice. It's embarassing enough as it is to admit being abused. I've been with the company for 13 years, since it opened and I think this treatment is unfair. Why not allow me to take a family leave to take care of business, instead of adding insult to injury?
I can understand. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, FMLA can be granted if the employer has reason to believe or has proof that someone is dealing with a disability that would keep them out of work. Usually, although abuse is terrible, it's not considered a disability, thus they didn't have an obligation to provide FMLA. There is some argument here though that if they want you to get an evaluation before returning to work, they may be suspecting that you are dealing with a mental or emotional disability. An employer can require an evaluation before you return to work.In your case, I think that getting the evaluation may be smart because if there is an illness there, even a temporary one, they should provide FMLA. They must also have at least fifty employees within a 75 mile distance as well.How else can I help you today?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I've been with the company for 13 years. Although I'm not a founder, I was instrumental with the start up. I was hired as Director of Marketing in 2005. We started with 1 office and 15 agents. We now have 10 offices and over 200 agents and 50 employees. In 13 years, I have received 1 raise, with hints that I would be benefitting from profit sharing. My job title has changed from Marketing Director to Marketing Manager to Special Projects Marketing Manager. I been made supervisor from 1 employee to 10, then to 4. I've never been compensated for the additional responsibilities nor have I ever been given a written job descriptions. I haven't had a review in 2 years, I believe. Because as the CEO once told me, I dont view you as an employee, you're like the 4 founder. My responsibilities and duties were all encompassing but never definitive or in writing. Now, i'm put on leave for poor performance. I given my all to the company, putting extra time and doing tasks totally unrelated to my job title. There's a running joke that if you need help with anything at the company, ask Darius. I've been stretched thin and feel like I've been set up to fail.
Employment Lawyer: DanLegal, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you - I'm sorry to hear about your situation, what specifically can I help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The question I asked previously is unanswered.

Yes I see that, I was wondering specifically what you would like help with? Is it legal to require you to get a mental health evaluation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m a victim of domestic violence which caused me to file a restraining order, which was violated when the offender was released from jail. It has caused me emotional distress the past two weeks, and as a victim, I’m being required to prove my stability. But there’s more I detailed in the longer explanation. It begins with, “But,also...”

Is there anything in your handbook that requires a medical clearance if the company believes there is an issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m not certain. I can check.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Our handbook briefly discusses domestic abuse but it doesn’t specifically say that a medical clearance is required. But I think a key point is being missed. I’m the victim...and I have to prove my stability? Sounds like injustice to me.
I don’t think my employer believes that I’m the victim. My CEO said that when I told her I was battered and bruised, she didn’t see anything on me. She also said, I don’t know what kind of people you associate with but this is a warning or something to that effect. What does nit matter who I associate with, I’m a victim of violence inflicted upon me by a specific person. Do people tell rape victims, it’s their fault because of the people she associates with?

I am very sorry that you are dealing with this and dealing with what could be seen as a hostile work environment. First, to address the company asking/requiring you to get counseling may very well be within their rights as a company. I'm sorry to tell you that, but if the company is a privately held corporation, they would be allowed to ask that. That being said, you do not have to complete it. The bot***** *****ne is that you have been a victim of a horrible experience and should be receiving encouragement from those around you. Secondly, because of what your CEO said to you, you may have an option to hold the company responsible for a hostile work environment. You will need to talk to a civil attorney in your area to discuss the specifics.

Also, I want you to know that as a victim of domestic violence you do have certain rights. http://www.domesticviolenceinfo.ca/article/victims-bill-of-rights-152.aspv. That is a link that generally speaks about the rights. Depending on your location in the country, there are rights that are enacted into law.

The prior expert went into the FMLA analysis and they are correct with how that can apply.

I hope I have given you some options of how to handle your difficult situation - can you please rate me with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer