Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer, the State of California, just confirmed with my…

Customer Question
My employer, the State...

My employer, the State of California, just confirmed with my health provider for dates of absence I previously submitted. I am furious! Are they allowed to contact and/or speak to my health provider for this reason?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California, thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union. Full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have had to be absent for long period due to recovery from surgery. My boss does not like this. I have felt he has been working behind my back to try and find a way to fire me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, yes, an employer may confirm dates of absence with a medical provider. If an employer wasn't allowed to do this, they would have no way of ever verifying doctor's notes. I truly wish I could tell you otherwise but I hope this answers your question.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....