Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was recently fired and think it may be unlawful

Customer Question
Hello. I was...

Hello. I was recently fired and think it may be unlawful termination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My former employer is a non-profit

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Were you fired only because of your age/race/sex/national origin? Why do you say it was unlawful? Did you have a written contract for employment?

I work as the Program Manager for a non-profit that provides outdoor trips for Veterans. I also work as a mountain guide for a few other outfits on the side. I recently offered a Veteran-specific trip through one of my side outfits and my primary employer fired me for conflict of interest.
I have signed an NDA but am not currently at my computer to review the language, I’ll send it to you later tonight.

Thank you for your reply.

So you are an at will employee, meaning you can be hired and fired for no reason at all or for any reason not based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and the only recourse you have is collecting unemployment. Your employer does not need any good reason to fire you and as long as they did not fire you only based on one of the mentioned unlawful reasons, you have no legal recourse against the employer other than to seek unemployment.

In unemployment, if they try to deny your benefits claiming good cause misconduct related to employment, then you would be able to prove there was no significant conflict as the employer claims so that you can get your benefits in unemployment and you may have to fight those benefits through the appeals process.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.