Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Moved to a new city for a job one year ago. Job description…

Customer Question
Moved to a new...

Moved to a new city for a job one year ago. Job description did not match what I was doing. Description did not include that production would be the sole metric by which I would be measured. Salary cut 4 months ago & told to increase output in order to survive. After that, numerous incidents by employer that were meant to create an atmosphere that would cause me to quit. Though my production had increased, I was fired yesterday because I didn’t reach their vaguely defined standard. Was not allowed to compare my production numbers with other employees’ numbers because employer refused to reveal them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The manager who fired me began working for the company last summer. He was hired by the owner/manager who hired me. Owner is moving toward retirement so chose new manager as his successor. When hired I was completely unaware of that plan & did not know that I would have a new boss shortly after I began. I believed I would be working for the man who hired not his replacement. The new manager exhibited distaste for me immediately, i suspect partly because of my age (59)

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It sounds like you have potentially two claims. One would be fraudulent inducement. The other could be an age discrimination claim.

Fraudulent inducement means that an employer intentionally misrepresented to a prospective employee what the job would entail. For example, if the employee can prove that the employer made a significant misrepresentation concerning the job or the company or that the person (owner or officer of the company) made the statement and knew or believed it was false at the time he or she made it; and the statement was made with the intent of deceiving the prospective employee; and the prospective employee reasonably relied on the false statement and suffered damages because of that reliance, then it could be fraudulent inducement. Damages must go beyond the loss of employment in order to state a claim, meaning damages could include relocation costs and lost opportunities.

Age discrimination is found when someone is fired, demoted, or shows lack of raises or promotions due to their age.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney