Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Wondering what the statute of limitation is for being

Wondering what the statute...

Wondering what the statute of limitation is for being mistreated at work, harrassed, wrongfully evaluated and then fired. But then your work changes the firing to being "retired"

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Was full time local govt. I was a Master Firefighter. Got injured on the job. Moved to an assistant fire marshal position. Where I was screamed at, yelled at, bullied. I confronted my chiefs and HR. I had above average evaluations every year. The year I was moved to the fire marshal office, I received awards presented to me for my leadership and above the calling duties. but then I went to my chief and HR about the mistreatment, harrassed, bullied. I received a bad evaluation, mind you the same year I received multiple awards, and then fired. Nothing was done to my supervisors.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I confronted HR and the chiefs, that this wasn't right. They changed my dismissal to being "retired because of injury and lack of work for me.

3/9/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The statute of limitations for wrongful termination cases in Virginia is two years. Va. Code § 8.01-248. The statute of limitations on Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress (IIED) is also 2 years. Wrongful evaluation would probably be put into wrongful termination (as there's no right to be "rightfully evaluated", but losing your job due to a wrongful evaluation could mean you have a case for wrongful termination due to the wrongful evaluation).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer