Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question in regards to labor hours at my place of…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question in regards ***** ***** hours at my place of employment

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

The issue is that I have never been able to take a lunch since I started last May and I work 12+ hours a day most the time and HR a part of this company is not on the employee side

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full-time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Full-time

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Which state?
Nebraska
Do you work in an assembly plant, workshop, or mechanical establishment?
I really can’t afford to pay much more money I didn’t realize that this wasn’t a free service
I Work in a retail location
You may get an offer for a phone call at an extra charge. That offer is not being made by me (the site makes it automatically) and you are not required to accept it to proceed. I am happy to continue online with you.
Okay thank you Is there a way I can postpone this chat for half an hour until I’m finished with a job interview
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.
Unfortunately, federal law does not require employers to offer break time for lunch or any other purpose.In Nebraska, employers who operate an assembly plans, workshops, or mechanical establishments must allow employees who work at least eight hour shifts to take 30 minutes off to eat. No law requires employers in other industries, including retail, to provide meal breaks, however.
Nebraska does not require employers to provide rest breaks, paid or unpaid.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels.
Hopefully, this job interview will go well and this potential employer will provide better work conditions.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer