Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I currently have intermittent fmla. I was denied my fmla to…

Customer Question
I currently have intermittent...

I currently have intermittent fmla. I was denied my fmla to be consecutive said i didn’t give them the paperwork they needed however I was never contacted about anything concerning my request. Can they deny it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I have the email that I received an hour ago from Liberty Mutual

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I am full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My place of employment would not accommodate my temporary restrictions from my doctor thus why I applied for my fmla to run consecutive and applied for STD

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me if you have spoken to the FMLA administrator about your position that you never received new paperwork to have your doctor fill in for a recertifcation? What did they say? Also, who is telling you that you are not approved for FMLA? Specifically why?

I have left a voicemail with Liberty Mutual on my case managers extension. Never spoken to her before. The letter stated is attached

Alright, well, I still need the answers to my other questions if you need assistance. They are: Can you tell me if you have spoken to the FMLA administrator about your position that you never received new paperwork to have your doctor fill in for a recertifcation?

I have not received a phone call back from my case manager from Liberty Mutual. Liberty Mutual is the company who does all the FMLA through my work. I left them a voicemail asking why I never received paperwork for it.

Alright, well at this point, it would be impossible to answer a question about their right to do what they have done since there just is not enough information. If you want to reconnect with your question after you have had a discussion with the FMLA administrator, perhaps then I can give you an informed statement about your options.

Otherwise, I can only discuss general FMLA law.

they are allowed to deny to change interrmittent fmla to run consecutive? Even tho I have had intermittent fmla since Sept of last year?

I didn't say that. What I said is that there isn't enough information for me to be able to give you that answer. I don't know what they are specifically saying about the paperwork and what you haven't done and you haven't told me. Once you speak to them and you tell me what you have done to have your doctor complete the recertification, then I can address your question. Otherwise, if you just want me to discuss the general law under FMLA I can. Just let me know.