Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I have to take longer than 3 months on disabilty to heal…

If I have to...

If I have to take longer than 3 months on disabilty to heal my broken back will I still be eligible for my health insurance?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

3/8/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Whether or not you will have your employer's insurance or COBRA is up to the employer. Legally, when a person is absent due to medical issues, they have 12 weeks of protected medical leave. During that time, the employer must maintain their insurance, while the employee is responsible to pay their portion.

Following that time, the employee's job is no longer protected and so insurance does not have to be maintained. Some employers choose to do so. Some employers choose not to. Some employers have no option, as their group coverage requires them to remove any inactive employee (past 12 weeks).

If your insurance lapses, you would then have to be offered COBRA coverage.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer