Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated by my employer for falsifying paperwork. I…

Customer Question
I was terminated by...

I was terminated by my employer for falsifying paperwork. I am.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Not aware of anything I falsified and they wouldn’t tell me

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Are you asking if they are required to tell you what paperwork you falsified? Can you clarify what your specific question for me is? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to know if there is a legal way to find out what was falsified. If this is legal or wrongful termination
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

Yes I am here...

Unfortunately, employment in the state of TN is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. This means that employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Since an employer doesn't need a true reason or even any reason at all to fire an employee, they are not required to reveal their reason or substantiate their reason. Regrettably this means there is no way to demand that your employer identify to you what they believe was falsified. Granted, most employers will INVITE employees to clarify something like this. It's not in their interests to terminate an employee for no good reason as terminations cost employers time and money. Most employers would rather avoid that if possible by getting clarification from the employee believed to have falsified a document before terminating them on that basis. But again, it's just not a legal requirement.

So, what I'd do is reach out to the employer and explain in a polite and professional way that you absolutely did not falsify anything and would welcome the opportunity to clarify whatever might have led to this misunderstanding. That would typically be your best course of action, based on what you have described.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer