Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an office manager and just returned to work from

I am an office...

I am an office manager and just returned to work from medical leave. On my first full day back at work my boss told me that I am being demoted. She didn't say there was anything wrong with my performance at work, but just kept saying there was a business need to move me into a lesser position. I feel based on the fact that I had just returned from medical leave this is being done as a punishment because I was out of work for a month. Is there any legal action I can take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have not filed or reported anything

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I think that sums it up

3/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Were you out of work under FMLA leave?

I was not
It's a small company. Doesn't there have to be a certain number of employees in order to receive FMLA?

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, unless you were out under protected leave under FMLA (50+ employees), your employment is considered at will. An at will employee, as you likely know, you can be promoted or demoted at will for no reason or any reason except based only on your age/race/sex/permanent disability/national origin. Thus, if you were not under protected leave of FMLA and the demotion was not for one of those other reasons legally you have no recourse against the employer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

She also asked me to come back to work before I was medically cleared by my doctor. Does that change anything?

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid not, since you could have not return. If you do not have protection under FMLA you are not protected.