Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If we terminated an employee do we have to provide the

reasons why in writing. We...
If we terminated an employee do we have to provide the reasons why in writing. We told her it wasn’t working out. She has many write ups for negligence and isn’t performing. Do we have to provide a final reason in writing?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

No but I would put she was terminated for cause.You have good facts and this is sufficient to terminate her as an employee.You would be able to justify it if she files for UI benefits and you want to contest it as employer that there was in fact termination for cause.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.

If we write this does she need a copy
Only reason i don’t want to give it to her is cause she threatened to sue for wrongful termination if we don’t provide it and i don’t like threats

Yes I would mail it to her and be done with this.You can move forward and seek another employee that meets your needs.

Ok thank you!

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Have a great day.

Ray, Employment lawyer