Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I need to a lawyer in reference to my job situation. I was…

I need to a lawyer...
I need to a lawyer in reference to my job situation. I was harassed due to age and was let go, but they want a letter of resignation. Help!!! I dont know what to do
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What will they do if they do not get the letter from you?

Have you filed a complaint with HR regarding the incidents of possible age discrimination?

I verbally confronted my immediate supervisor, principal, and union rep a week before they let me go. My HR Manager was in the meeting on 3/1/18 where I told that I will not resign, that they just fired me. My HR manager is aware of the harassment that is why they let me go. I am supposed to go back to work but I dont know what to do. I have been very anxious!
Email is fine

I am unclear what you mean. If you have been fired, why are you scheduled to go back to work?

Well they "let me go" but they want me to work until the end of the school year, June, but they want me to resign and write a letter of resignation. They said it was in my best interest. I didnt do anything yet. I dont know what to do?????

If you are resigning due to the hostile work environment, it is probably ok to resign in writing and state that.

If they have violated your rights under the ADEA then you do not have to continue to work and be subjected to the harassment.

In order to make a successful claim for age discrimination you must first establish a prima facie case as follows:

In Fasold v. Justice, 409 F.3d 178, 184-85 (3d Cir. 2005), the court held that the plaintiff:

presented evidence that he (1) was over forty years old at the time of the adverse employment decision; (2) is qualified for the position in question; (3) suffered from an adverse employment decision; and (4) that his employer replaced him with someone sufficiently younger to permit a reasonable inference of age discrimination. See generally Potence v. Hazleton Area Sch. Dist., 357 F.3d 366, 370 (3d Cir. 2004); Anderson v. Consol. Rail Corp., 297 F.3d 242, 249 (3d Cir. 2002).

Once you are able to establish that you were subject to disparate treatment, the burden shifts to the employer to show that there was a legal reason for the adverse action taken against you.

To start the process, contact the EEOC at www.eeoc.gov for more information on filing a complaint. Your employment is protected from termination due to filing the complaint. Such termination would be retaliatory and subject your employer to further liability to you.

An attorney is not required, but it would be invaluable in this type of claim. It is not simple litigation and there is no reason you need to learn as you go. Additionally, if you prevail, you would be awarded your attorney fees and many attorneys who handle this type of claim, do so on a contingency fee basis. So, it should not cost you anything upfront.

If you need help finding local counsel, try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Ok. I filed a complaint yesterday with that company. I am just trying to get an appointment with them to discuss my circumstances. I dont know what to do first. If I don't give them a letter of resignation, they may escort me out. I dont want to resign. I am afraid to go back there because I dont know what to expect. I do need a lawyer. Since I already filed the complaint with eeoc, what do I do now???

Since a complaint is on file, you are in a protected position since they would not want to be seen as taking retaliatory action.

At this point, I would advise you retain local counsel and have them communicate with the employer for you in order to protect the claim.

Ok. By the way, they already retaliated against me! I confronted them on 2/21/18 with harassment charges and they did nothing! Then on 3/1/18 they let me go. I call that Retaliation!!!!!

Yes, that would add additional liability to your claim.

It does sound like you need to move forward with local counsel.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for your assistance

You are very welcome. Best of luck to you.