Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I sell pull tabs I was off 40.00 and the gambling manager…

I sell pull tabs...

I sell pull tabs I was off 40.00 and the gambling manager was me to pay it bank. Is that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

3/8/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

An employer may not deduct or withhold any part of an employee’s wages for the following reasons, unless the employee has voluntarily consented to the deduction after the following events have occurred or has been held liable in court for the loss or indebtedness:

• cash shortages,
  • lost or stolen property,
  • damage to property,
  • any other claimed indebtedness running from employee to employer.

Minnesota Stat. 181:79; Minn. Admin. Rules 5200.0090

In other words, an employer cannot make an employee pay for errors, nor deduct it from their wages, unless the employee has agreed to pay for such mistakes. That doesn't mean an employer cannot take other action against an employee, such as writing up or terminating an employee, for a mistake, however.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

You're very welcome. Please let me know if I can clarify anything else for you or provide you with any additional information regarding this matter. If not, please remember to click on the stars at the top of the page so I am credited by the website. A 5 star rating for my time and effort is greatly appreciated!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer