Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can a Federal Judge under a Probation Order restrict driving…

Can a Federal Judge...

Can a Federal Judge under a Probation Order restrict driving privileges when there a clean driving record.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The State of Georgia shows a clean driving record.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No the Federal Judge is holding my drivers license, pilots license, passport, and Swedish Crewmember ID. There was never a crime related to my drivers license.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The original Federal Crime was "Giving false information to The Federal Government" by presenting he wrong information on an FAA Medical Application. Having admitted to this oversight, the FAA Revoked my Pilots license for one year at which time I was able to get it back! Rwo years after that the DOJ filed Federal Charges. A motion to dismiss on the basis of "Double Jeopardy" was dismissed with the staement by a Federal Magistrate that the punishment administered by he FAA was Remedial rather than Punitive!

3/8/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, legally, the federal judge can restrict TRAVEL privileges of any defendant under a probation order. Driving is a privilege and not a right, so the judge is not infringing on your constitutional rights to do this. Also, your travel is restricted not prevented completely until the probation is competed.

It is not double jeopardy, since criminal sanctions and administrative sanctions are two different matters, which is what the judge tried to tell you.

Legally though, yes a federal or state judge can suspend driving privileges even if the offense did not involve driving.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.