Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer let me go on friday after 12 years there. he…

My employer let me...

My employer let me go on friday after 12 years there. he said they hired a new graphic designer that has a lower salary then me and is more proficient. He said she starts monday and by the way she is younger. I'm 52 and she is late 20's

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Is this age discrimination

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

State is Illinois. I'm full time but not sure if it is at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Certainly you can file with EEOC and consider a lawyer to sue for wrongful termination.This appears to be pure age discrimination on part of employer.

File here

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40, although some states have laws that protect younger workers from agediscrimination. It is not illegal for an employer or other covered entity to favor an older worker over a younger one, even if both workers are age 40 or older.

Discrimination can occur when the victim and the person who inflicted the discrimination are both over 40.

Age Discrimination & Work Situations

The law prohibits discrimination in any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

Lawyer referral

awyer Referral Service of the ISBA

The Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA) sponsors the IllinoisLawyerFinder. The ISBA has offices in both Springfield and Chicago, Illinois. The ISBA's Lawyer Referral Service provides two different ways to find an attorney.

First, you can search the online directory for local attorneys. You can search by Field of Practice, County and/or Zip code. You can also use the directory to search by name to find more information about a particular attorney.

Second, you can call the service to receive a phone referral to an attorney who has agreed to provide a 30-minute consultation for a $25 consultation fee. During the consultation, you can talk with the attorney about your legal concerns, possible solutions, and the attorney fees needed for additional representation beyond the initial consultation.

Contact Information:

ISBA's Springfield Office
Illinois Bar Center
Website: http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/
424 S. Second Street
Springfield, IL###-##-####br />Call(###) ###-####br />
ISBA's Chicago Regional Office
20 S. Clark St., Suite 900
Chicago, IL###-##-####br />Call(###) ###-####/p>

I am so sorry that this happened to you.I hope you will pursue this through the courts.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.

I also have never been written up for anything or anything negative. This is a family run company with about 25 employees in the office and another 30 employees in their warehouse which in under a different corp name.

I hope you will pursue this, its' terrible what they said and did to you here.Prayers to you moving forward with this.

Ray, Employment lawyer