Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I am an employee of a company, and I am paid a salary…

Customer Question
If I am an...

If I am an employee of a company, and I am paid a salary plus commission, is it legal for the company to require me to work more than 12 hours a day?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York State

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unfortunately, yes it is. There are no state or federal laws that govern how many hours an employer may require an employee to work. It's legal for them to classify you as an exempt, salaried employee (meaning they don't have to pay overtime), as long as at least half your income comes from sales commissions, you're in a retail or service industry, and you make at least 1.5 times the minimum wage. Alternatively, outside sales employees are exempt from minimum wage and overtime requirements, so they wouldn't have to pay extra for requiring someone to work additional hours.

If neither of those applies to you, they can still require you to work as many hours as they'd like, but they are required to pay you over time for any hours that exceed 40 in a given workweek. The nature of at will employment is that employees who are being overworked or underpaid have a right to seek more desirable employment elsewhere. You'd also have a right to negotiate a raise to reflect the extra work required by the long hours.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer