Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I injured my self on the way to work, I work the day of and…

Customer Question
I injured my self...

I injured my self on the way to work, I work the day of and following day! Then had weekend off! I then went to hospital the following Monday, do to my injury (ribs)seamed to be worse! Was cleared for returning to work that following Wednesday with Dr. Note saying I was not to return until then, but for got to say with restrictions (lite duty)! I told lead foreman and the floor manager that I was to be on lite duty! They didn't care, if it doesn't say it then to bad! They made me work the hardest and most intense labor jobs we have! Question: Can I still quit and get my unemployment benefits, and or sue for unsafe work place?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Grants Pass, Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

You can't sue for an unsafe workplace without the doctor's note stating you could only do light duty. If the doctor's note was wrong, you should have left the place of employment and went to the doctor to obtain the correction rather than working the shift and jobs they asked you to.

As for quitting and getting unemployment, with a single incident of this nature, no. To be able to quit and get unemployment, you have to establish a number of issues in the workplace, show that you attempted to address them with the employer over time with the threat of your quitting if they didn't correct the issues, and then you could do it. It is very difficult to quit and get unemployment.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.