Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an employee at FedEx in Memphis, Tn. I drive the

Hello. I am an...

Hello. I am an employee at FedEx in Memphis, Tn. I drive the shuttle bus which takes employees to their work area. An employee was fired for having merchandise in their bag trying to leave the premisses. I am friends with the person that was accused. I was not at work the day it happened but the Had of Security interrogated me and told me that other items was missing and it's was my responsibility to recover the items because I know the person. How they thought I was supposed to do that I felt they was wrong for trying to put me in that situation. But any way it happened last Sunday and they let me go today with no explanation. Is that legal? By the way the company I work for is a vender in FedEx. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Memphis, tn

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I wrote a statement stating I wasn't present on the day in question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wasn't accused of anything.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Can you please tell me if you are in a union? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you help me off what I have you? That's pretty much it

Thank you. So not being in a union, your employment would generally be presumed "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Regrettably, this means you can be terminated based on the mere suspicion that you were complicit in unlawful activity, even if the suspicion is completely ridiculous and unfounded. Thus, while very unfair, the facts you describe would not suggest that any laws have been broken. You should not have trouble getting approved for unemployment benefits, since there is no actual evidence that you stole (which is probably what would be required to deny benefits here), and should apply as soon as possible as benefits cannotbe claimed retroactively.

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Have a great day.

You are very welcome, I just wish I had better news to share. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer