Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have just been notified my employer has taken action

against my professional license. Should...
I have just been notified my employer has taken action against my professional license. Should I seek a legal counsel ? They have asked me to return a document with my explanation of the event. Is this something I should have a lawyer do?
3/7/2018
Attorney Wendy

I would love to help. What type of professional license is it and do you know what action has been taken by your employer and why?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am send some photos of the letter I received today. I am an RN, and they have stated that I violated the nurse practice act. I have about 15 more days to respond with my side of the story. I didn't hurt anyone. I completed some logs for our crash carts that employees told me has been done but that I did not check personally myself. I was covering for my employees and really my employer because we were expecting our regulatory agency to come at any time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Additional photos

My advice would be to consult an attorney in your area in Texas. To help defray the costs of legal counsel, I suggest drafting a response yourself that the attorney can then review and provide input as to any suggested changes. Drafting a response also ensures you have thought through and noted all the relevant facts prior to meeting with the attorney. The Texas Board of Nursing, should it disagree with your actions and impose any discipline, would have to make that discipline public; so it is important to have a well prepared response. It appears that the Board may take, on average, 5-12 months to investigate and act on a complaint. Having an attorney represent you in that process would also alleviate the stress and potential missed communications over that time period. There is great value in knowing someone else is monitoring that situation while you continue to perform your daily work and profession. It would also be worth considering the Board's Informal Settlement Process and discussing the pros and cons of that process with an attorney who has experience with the Board. The key to providing responses to any professional licensing boards is to be truthful and open about whatever happened, but having professional assistance in drafting your response would minimize any risk of misunderstanding of your side of the events. It is also important to keep in mind - and an attorney would be able to aid with this as well - that your response may not, based on what you have said, put your employer in the best light. Thus, you would want someone to help you ensure that you suffer no retaliation from your employer for truthfully (and in compliance with Board and State laws and procedures) responding to the complaint. It can seem beneficial to attempt to respond to complaints like this one on your own, but your professional license and any complaint made against it, no matter how valid, is worth at least a conversation with an attorney in your area who regularly has contact with the licensing board and can provide experienced guidance.

If you need more help, please reply to this email. If I have answered your question and given you excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This is general information for educational and informational purposes only and is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer