Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question on a non compete that I have. I was

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question on a non compete that I have.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I was recently terminated and the non compete section was in my original employment agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I am based in PA and I have worked in the same industry, selling software solutions to banksfor over 25 years

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/7/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Can’t respond. Won’t let me send

Interesting. Are you trying to upload something?

employment agreement

I see. You may need to contact customer care to get that bad boy uploaded. Sometimes there's issues. If you want, we can discuss without uploading if you have questions about it.

Was recently terminated. I have been in the same industry, selling software to banks for 25 years. Non-compete restricts me for 1 yr to sell
to banks in US

Interesting. So, it's prohibiting you from working for any company that sells to any bank in the US, correct?

yep. I'm 61 years old and it has been my career long area where I can earn a living

I see what you mean. Ok, so generally non-competes are going to be enforceable by a court so long as they are reasonable in time, scope, and geography. In your case, it appears as if the time is reasonable because most courts will enforce a non-compete up to two years. However, the scope and geography seems extremely broad and vague. To prohibit you from working for any company that sells software to any bank in the U.S. effectively prohibits you from working for any company in your industry for the next year. Even if there is a company who only assigns a fraction of their business to selling the software, it seems possible that you would be prohibited from working from any other company that deals with banks at all. That would be far too broad and what's considered "unconscionable" under contract law.

What I usually recommend is that you should continue looking for job inside your industry. The reason is because even if the former employer tried to bring a lawsuit, they would have to prove damages. This means that they would have to show your working for a new company has somehow caused them financial harm. If they can't prove that, then the court wouldn't be able to award them damages. I'm very sorry about your situation.

What other questions did you have for me today about this?