Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there grounds for a lawsuit against a hospital when a…

Customer Question
Is there grounds for...

Is there grounds for a lawsuit against a hospital when a Director of a Department continually harrasses you to the point that you have a stroke in the parking lot at work

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The harrasment was reported on two occassions to two different VP's. I was following chain of command. I had a total of 4 strokes, several TIA's. It was also discovered that I had a Brain Aneurysm that was coiled. They also discovered that I have a Brain Aneurysm that is in operable.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I still

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/7/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is a tort known as intentional infliction of emotional distress. However, it requires showing that the conduct causing the distress was so outrageous that it "shocks the conscience" and "exceeds all bounds of human decency." This is an extremely high standard that requires more than typical harassment or rude behavior. Otherwise, however, your exclusive remedy would typically be to file a workers compensation claim. Through such a claim you can recover your medical expenses and any lost wages you suffer as a result of being disabled from work, provided of course you can establish that you suffered these injuries because of your workplace (which you'd have to show to sue in court, anyway, so no difference there).

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup because this question was still open and I have not heard back from you. Was there anything more I can do to assist you? Did you get a chance to review my answer to your question? Please let me know....

Tina, Lawyer