Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked for 16 years at a private clinic, I was dismissed…

Customer Question
I worked for 16...

I worked for 16 years at a private clinic, I was dismissed with one week notice. I had accumulated lots of hours of leave that I did not take according to the company's procedure manual. All through the years, my pay stub did not indicate how many hours I accumulated. I sent an email requesting an audit of the hours I am owed and I have not received any reply yet. Do I have ways to receive compensation for those hours that carried over the years?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/7/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

when you refer to these "leave" hours, were they vacation leave, sick leave, or PTO? Also, did your employer have any policies addressing what happens to your leave upon separation of employment? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

It refers to vacation time.
I am sure since it only specifies that half of the time accumulated time could be carried over the next year. But I did not take a vacation for many years. Also, every year after the first 5 years it would add one more day of pay vacation to the initial 10 working days from year 1 to 5.

Thank you. Did your employer have any policies addressing what happens to your leave upon separation of employment?