Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to know if an agency can lower the pay rate…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to know if an agency can lower the pay rate that was initially discussed before the interview. A rate of $39/hour was given to me at the time they sent me the job description. After the interview, the agent told me that the company I was going to be working at was lowering the rate to about $32/hour. I told them I wouldn't accept this low rate. They could later get to a maximum of $36/hour. Any reasons I shouldn't trust this agency is telling me the truth?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
3/6/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

In an employment situation, unless you have a written contract of employment guaranteeing you a specific rate which cannot change with your consent, the terms of any offer are "at will" and can change at any time. They just have to inform you before you actually work any hours under the new term. So, they can legally change the pay if they wish and that is legal.

Now, as for whether or not to trust the agency, that I cannot tell you. I have no reason to trust or distrust them. I can just tell you that the terms offered can absolutely legally change.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer