Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can you sue an employer for bullying in the workplace and…

Customer Question
Can you sue an...

Can you sue an employer for bullying in the workplace and pregnancy discrimination?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I worked for the company for 13 years.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
3/6/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

Bullying is only illegal if it relates to discrimination due to race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use. If the bullying is just general in nature, it wouldn't form the basis for a claim.

If it is related to the pregnancy discrimination you are mentioning, then you would have a claim and should file with the EEOC in your state first. That is a federal entity that investigates and then preserves your right to sue, by collecting evidence and then providing you the right to sue. This is a federal requirement before you can file suit, so you must go through them.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Is there a statue of limitations with filing with the EEOC?

Yes, you must file with the EEOC within 180 days of the last date of discrimination unless your state also has anti-discrimination laws that extend beyond that time.

However, in Georgia, the state version also only allows a claim to be filed within 180 days of the last date of discrimination.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.