Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am working with a client who has recently terminated an…

Hello. I am working with...
Hello. I am working with a client who has recently terminated an employee in the state of MO. That employee was supposed to return the company's uniform but has refused to do so and is refusing all communication. Can the employer legally withhold the employee's final paycheck until the uniform is returned?
3/6/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. (The system will automatically generate a phone call request to you. Unless I specifically state, during our discussion, that a phone call is possible, I intend to just use this chat format as I am not in a position to accept a phone call).

The employer cannot withhold the entire amount. The employer can make a deduction from the wages, for the value of the uniforms, up to the point that the paycheck is reduced to minimum wage. A person's check may not go below minimum wage for hours worked, even if their debt exceeds their check.

The employer would have to retrieve any difference through a suit in small claims.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer