Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Our business is in Oregon... Provided I meet minimum wage…

Our business is in...

Our business is in Oregon...

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Provided I meet minimum wage laws, is it ok to pay one employee more per hour (because the produce more). Or do I have to pay them both the same regardless of production?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes we are an at will employer

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

2/25/2018
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: is it ok to pay one employee more per hour (because the produce more).

A: That is absolutely legal. Different employees are often paid more or less than other employees depending on factors such as seniority, production, skill, title, attendance, etc. As a general rule, it is lawful for an employer to have differing pay for any reason, except for reasons like race, religion, gender, ethnicity, disability, and age. For example, if you paid Employee 1 more than Employee 2 because you favor Employee 1's religion, then that is illegal. But if you pay Employee 1 more than Employee 2 because Employee 1 is a better employee, then that is lawful (and frankly, should be expected).

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

You have answered my question
Thx

You are quite welcome. Thank you for using this service, and please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney