Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am the director of an S-corp, is it legal for me to use…

I am the director of...
I am the director of an S-corp, is it legal for me to use volunteer entertainment labor for charity events? Does the legality change if the charity events are multiple times weekly, and primarily what my company does?Getting a 2nd opinion, after reading an article that said: For private for-profit employers, the FLSA's requirements are clear that there is no such thing as an employee providing "volunteer" time. The U.S. Department of Labor ("USDOL"), the agency that enforces the FLSA, has plainly stated that "employees may not volunteer services to for-profit private sector employers." Additionally, even the courts have agreed that the label "volunteer" doesn't matter; simply calling someone a "volunteer" will not shield an employer from its FLSA obligation to pay the required wages if that individual performs work that benefits the for-profit organization.http://www.psh.com/?t=40&an=52305&anc=742&format=xml
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The use does not violate the charitable purpose. It is valid.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I do not understand that statement.
I don’t see a problem with using such volunteer services. There is no profit or other violation.
What if an employee, say a social media manager volunteered as a performer?
Not a problem either.
Good luck! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Good luck. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Lawyer