Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If I'm accused of harassment at work, but not told what

Second opinion] if I'm accused...
Second opinion] if I'm accused of harassment at work , but not told what kind, how do I defend my self..and keep my jobJA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?Customer: michiganJA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?Customer: at will.full timeJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: does this cost me
Answered in 1 day by:
2/19/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

This is always and exceedingly difficult thing to do, protect ones job from a claim of harassment. The reason is that, in employment law if you do not have a contract of employment that specifically limits the employer's ability to terminate you, you are an "at will" employee and can be terminated without cause.

When you can be terminated without cause, the cause then that an employer may point to as their basis for termination doesn't really have to be accurate. They just have to avoid terminating you just because of your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer