Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I’m an employee of a big corporate bank and became aware…

Hi! I’m an employee of...
Hi! I’m an employee of a big corporate bank and became aware recently and I’m under investigation for ethics reasons. If I get fired, will I loose my ability to get hired at another banks?
Also the reason for the investigation is that my personal device has been used by a couple people other than me which are my very closed frinds to log in to their bank accounts. They have not transferred money to me or anything but they have used my personal device. I consider that a violation of my privacy and don’t know if they had the legal right to monitor my personal device or not. I’d really appreciate it if you can help me get informed about my rights in this case.
My main concern is my eligibility to get hired by othe banks in case I get fired.
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You probably do not need to worry about potential employers finding out about the details of your departure. Most HR Depts of large employers have a policy for giving references which prohibit providing anything more than confirmation of start and end dates and salary. The reason is to protect them from potential defamation claims.

Otherwise, if you have violated company policy, and believe your termination is inevitable, you can resign and try to negotiate an exit before there is a finding and cut off any potential termination for cause.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you online with me?

Hi Loren. Thank you for your response. I heard from a lot of former bank employees that they’ve lost their bondability when they got fired due to violation of ethics or complience with procedures. Would that possibly be my case?
I still disagree that I did anything unethical but i understand that policy can be interppreted differently.

That would likely be a self reporting issue when you get hired by a new employee. However, it does not sound like you violated anything which would affect bonding.

You can also try to negotiate an exit for other than this issue (of record in your file) and that could provide some protection to you, as well.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer