Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My father recently passed away, and I've taken a leave of…

Hello, my father...

Hello, my father recently passed away, and I've taken a leave of absence from a job I'd been employed at for 15 years. I requested my sick leave time to be paid to me, and my employer said no way.. she didn't have to pay me sick leave time it's only to be paid to people on payroll.. I'm a little miffed about that, because I didn't give my leave of absence from a job, until a week after my father died.. I've read on the boli. Web page that I should be been offered that 10.19 hours of sick time pay avaia ble to me while I was preparing for my dad's funeral arrangements,, is this correct? Can they deny paying me that m9nies? Are they in the wrong for not offering it in time of grievances? Need help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I've been full time for almost, 15 years ,when my dad feel I'll I requested my hours be cut to a few days,,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did nothing wrong at this place of employment ,except requesting less hours, then they turn it around on me saying I didn't seem happy, and they suggested I take a leave of absence till I'm mentally better... ,I believe I deserve that monies ,I worked for it for heavens sake.. how can she say not paying me anything.. it is the CEDARWOOD SALOON IN GRANTS PASS OREGON. ,IVE RUN AN OPEN MIC JAM FOR 3 YEARS AND WORKED MY ASS OFF FOR THEM FOR ALMOST 15 YEARS HELP,,very frustrated.

2/17/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the Oregon law, if your employer has a minimum of 25 employees, you are legally entitled to bereavement leave. Employers are not required to pay employees for bereavement leave. They may adopt policies providing for paid bereavement leave. See: OAR(###) ###-#### Additionally, employees are permitted to use leave accrued pursuant to any vacation, sick, personal, or other paid leave policy maintained by the employer when taking bereavement leave under the Oregon Family Leave Act. See OAR(###) ###-#### If your employer does not have 25 employees, then she does not have to allow you to get paid sick time for your leave.

If the employer is not allowing you to do so, then you need to file a complaint with BOLI and ask them to force her to comply with OR law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you and yes I do want to file complaint ,, I believe I should be able to get my monies,, ,please tell me how to file complaint against them with boli.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is the BOLI complaint process and links to complaint forms: http://www.oregon.gov/boli/crd/pages/c_crcompl.aspx