Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just yesterday, I was fired by my employer. I am a former…

Customer Question
just yesterday, I was fired...
just yesterday, I was fired by my employer. I am a former daycare worker Last week, my "friend" asked me to take her son with me because she overslept and we were friends. He also was in my class. I don't drive so she had asked me to walk him somewhere. It was cold and we were expecting weather so another coworker offered to take me and her son to a near by fitness place cause it wasn't that far. At the time, we wasn't thinking and we didn't realize we didn't have a carseat. So this week, my boss pulls each one of us in to make a statement. The women with the kid lied saying that she did not give us permission to take her son and she thought we had a carseat. She then turned around and wanted me and the other girl to lie saying we had the carseat.. ( I have texts).. so because there was conflict in stories, me and the driver were let go. But the girl can still work for the company with the understanding that she is on a probationary period and she has to keep her nose clean. If she did nothing wrong, then why is she having to keep her nose clean? Why if both me and the drivers statements were similar, but hers is different are they believing hers?!? They told me I was dismissed on grounds of poor judgement and conflicting stories. The other girls was liability. I don't know if I have a case. Is it worth fighting for?!? The mom of the kid is African American and I feel that they are using that as a tactic. Nonetheless, I feel I was wrongfully terminated. Should I persue it? Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
2/15/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I'm not sure I understand your argument. Are you saying that you are being treated differently than another employee based on the difference in your races?

I'm sorry. But yes

No apology necessary. I'm just making sure I understand.

If you believe that race was the motivation behind your termination, then you really only have one option. You need to file a complaint with the EEOC in your state, alleging race discrimination in your termination. That is a government agency that investigates allegations of discrimination, so that you can get better evidence without having to hire and attorney or file a federal complaint. Once you've been terminated, there really is no option beyond that path.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

What good would a complaint with the eeoc do if you are saying that once you are terminated there is nothing I can do?!? Even if I have proof that she wanted me to lie and I didn't?

I don't think I stated that clearly enough.

Once you are terminated, there is nothing else that you can do.

When someone is facing discrimination, but they are still employed, there are steps they should take before the EEOC.

You don't those steps to go through and can go straight to the EEOC.

So, I am not saying there is no point. I'm saying that because you have been terminated, there are no other steps that you must take....and the EEOC is the only option remaining.

The EEOC will provide you with the evidence they collect and give you an assessment of your claim.

That is how you then obtain an employment law attorney to file a wrongful termination suit against the employer.

If you have further questions, please let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.