Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

In the state of VA is an employer authorized to deduct from

In the state of VA is an employer authorized to deduct from an employee's paycheck for using a company vehicle off company time?Note: Company vehicle's have GPS on them to capture date and time.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Virginia is very strict about the deductions an employer can make from an employee's check. Unless the employee expressly consents to a deduction in their wages for this sort of "damage" is what it would really be, the employer is not allowed to deduct from the employee's check.

The employer can issue a bill and make the bill payable, with termination being the result if it does not get paid in some fashion. The employer can then offer a regular deduction from pay, with the employee giving written consent.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.