Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

If I’m on workmen comp in Cali, and want to supplement my…

If I’m on workmen...

If I’m on workmen comp in Cali, and want to supplement my income, if I work as independent contractor, self employed where I file taxes at the end of the year, will that get me in trouble with the workmen comp?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Cali

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s all, I am not getting enough from workmen comp and was looking for some safe way to add my income to pay bills and see ads on Craigslist that where they say paid commissions so I need to know if commission and self employment will still b getting me in jeopardy w my current workmen comp

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/13/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Any work here where they send in a 1099 or W-2 is really risky for you.If you can find cash jobs with no records you would probably be ok.But these jobs would likely send in a 1099 or W-2 to IRS and the comp people share information with them so be real careful.Maybe some kind of cash day labor if you get paid in cash otherwise you risk them coming after you for wc fraud.Just being honest here, please don't shoot the messenger.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and prayers to you here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Employment lawyer
Customer reply replied 6 days ago
May I clarify I got retired due to injury, can I work then ? I’m confused and I hope all these are confidential. I’m just waiting for them to approve my application for industrial retirement and was hoping I can still sell employment that’s not similar to what I was doing before and within the restriction of my doctor...my confusion is if I can work after I granted retirement or do I have to wait til my case settles thank you
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

If you already have permanent medical disability its not a problem, if you haven't settled it could be a problem because they are trying to decide if you are permanently disabled work wise so be careful.

Here is reference.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/wcfaqiw.html

Prayers to you here.

Ray, Employment lawyer