Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I live in Tennessee and was initially having trouble getting…

I live in Tennessee...

I live in Tennessee and was initially having trouble getting my workman's comp to accept the injury but once they did I have not had any more issues with payments or anything like that and I'm just about ready to settle but I have gotten an attorney and I don't like the guy and I think he's doing me more harm than good and I don't really think I need one can I actually get an answer on this I've asked a million people and nobody wants to give any advice please let me know if I'm wrong in thinking that I need to fire this guy

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of any medical records?

It's Tennessee and no I do not have any copies of the medical records it's all workman's comp but in Tennessee from what I understand the legislators have just about legislative the attorneys out of the process and I just want to know if that's really true

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I've had two surgeries and have reached MMI and have been released and have been a given a medical rating but that's where I stand at this point

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't just want to give away money for something that's not necessary but if I do need this guy that I don't really have a problem but he's been very unprofessional he doesn't answer my questions like I feel he should and he's just a completely rude individual I want to know whether I actually need an attorney or not given my circumstances my biggest deal

Answered in 5 days by:
2/18/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You can terminate the Attorney if he has been unprofessional or if you do not like the Attorney. However, the Attorney may file a lien on your settlement pursuant to your agreement with the Attorney if the Attorney has done work on the case. Of course, you can challenge the lien if you think that the Attorney has not earned the fee.

If you are terminating the Attorney, you need to do this in writing and make sure to state your reasons for terminating the relationship. Send the notice of termination by certified mail return receipt requested so that the Attorney would not claim that he did not receive the notice and thus has been working on your case and therefore deserves to pay for his services from your settlement.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you for your response, i had alreadly found this information online about how and when and the proceedure to follow to fire the guy and the possibilities of a lien. I really was asking if i actually needed him at all? He and i cant seem to get on the same page seems to be the general consensus. I admit my question may have been too vaugue but the answer was not really the one i needed?

Thank you for the clarification.

Unfortunately, whether or not you really need the Attorney is ultimately your decision because you are the one dealing with the Attorney and thus the best person to make that call. You also have intimate knowledge of your case. So, if you think you can handle the case without an Attorney, then you can proceed on your own. Otherwise, you need to seek the assistance of another Attorney if the current one is not performing as expected and is instead aggravating you.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you again. I just don't want to be screwed over in this deal...one way or the other. I have an appt on Tuesday to speak with another atty. I don't think it should be that hard to help your client understand the process and what is and is not important to the case.