Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

This question is regarding California Employment Law. I

would appreciate a quick response...
This question is regarding California Employment Law. I would appreciate a quick response as I would like to make this change, starting tomorrow:I have a part time employee working 25 hours per week. I would like to increase their hours to 35 hours per week. (7 hours x 5 days). They already accrue sick time.What mandatory legal changes would there be regarding benefits, vacation, etc.?Other than salary & sick time, would I incur any other additional expenses?
2/12/2018
John, Employment Lawyer

How many employees do you have?

3 employees: Myself plus 2 part time employees

You're not going to be mandated to provide anything additional to what you already are. If you had 50 employees, you'd have to also provide health insurance and FMLA leave.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
Great, so there is no difference to me as an employer then, except that I will pay additional wages and sick time, right?I'd be glad to give you a good review. Thanks for your expediency :)

That's correct...your payroll tax will go up as you pay him/her more...that's a given, but nothing else.