Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can I file a harassment case 2.5 years after it first

Customer Question
Can I file a...

Can I file a sexual harassment case 2.5 years after it first happened.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California. I complained to HR but didn’t take it any further. I am re experiencing trauma

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Union full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person has been fired from their current job and is telling the media the allegations were unsubstantiated

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
2/11/2018
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In employment law, no you would not be able to. You have to file a complaint within 300 days of the last act of discrimination/harassment in order to preserve the right to sue.

Unfortunately, you have also passed the personal injury time frame of 2 years.

I am sorry that you are being re-traumatized, but unfortunately that does not renew or restart any statute of limitations.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.