Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

The labor commmisioner had awarded me $90,047.00 but my

Customer Question
The labor commmisioner had...

The labor commmisioner had awarded me $90,047.00 but my employer is threatening to file bankruptcy if I don't accept $30000 offer. Should I settle for $30000?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sacramento, california

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It's a full time with small businesses

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I filled for wages claimed plus Retailiation. My wages claim is for the $90000. The Retailiation case is coming up soon but they are trying to settle both for $30000

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
2/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

If the employer is threatening bankruptcy, then you could ask for a CPA-attested financial statement. What you need to know is the equity value of the business (assets minus liabilities. That way you will know if a bankruptcy is a reasonable possibility for the employer.

If it is a possibility, then maybe counter with $45,000 (50%), and see if the employer accepts. "Bird in the hand...", if you take my meaning.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

How do I ask for a CPA attested financial statement?
you're not going to answer my question right

Sorry for the delay. I've been in a meeting.

You just say something like, you'll agree to $45K, if the employer provides a CPA-attested financial statement showing that the business has less than $90K net equity

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!