Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer of 10 years reduced my rate of pay because I…

My employer of 10 years...
My employer of 10 years reduced my rate of pay because I started school this month:: They reduced my pay from 15.15 to 12.00/hr:: Isn’t that violating my rights as an employee?
1/18/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This is understandably quite frustrating. However, I must unfortunately tell you that it does not violate any laws. Provided your employer is still paying you at least minimum wage plus any applicable overtime, they will be in compliance with the law. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

How can they change your rate of pay without notifying you first::/As a PRN Employee you get an increase not a decrease in pay::

They certainly must notify you. That part was not included in your original question above. However, once they inform you of the change then they can apply it moving forward. You of course have the option to refuse to work for the lower rate, but you cannot force your employer to employ you at your old rate, either. So it's a matter of what you and your employer can agree on.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Patrick, Esq.