Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My employer is trying to change me to salary without pay…

Customer Question
My employer is trying...

My employer is trying to change me to salary without pay increase etc I am health care professional and work bent hrs on and off Rhett clock

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ind

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/18/2018
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

I'm sorry, your question isn't clear. Please re-type your question.

I am a nurse my employer demand I work overtime every week and is now trying to make me a salary employee

Unfortunately in your state employers have no limit on the number hours they can mandate from nurses. Also, nursing is a skilled profession, and while nurses have traditionally been paid hourly with overtime pay, under the wage law they can be classified as salary as a white collar exempt employee (and not eligible for overtime). The best I can advise you is that if you accept the salary position you should demand an amount that would at least be equivalent to your current 40 hours plus overtime for the number of hours they are requiring you to work in excess of 40.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer