Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employer in the mental health field who contracts an…

Can an employer in the...
Can an employer in the mental health field who contracts an individual as a 1099 (independent contractor) to provide mental health services to clients by billing insurance companies (Bluecross, Medicaid, etc) deduct hourly pay of $8 an hour (contractor makes $42hr) in the event a clients'documentation is not in the company's' database within 48 hours. Average session would be 2hrs (-$16). The employer had not incurred any losses which would have affected them. Would this be a deceiving practice? Is this lawful?
1/18/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The contractor has to be paid the agreed rate without penalty or deduction. If there is a performance problem the sides can discuss and alter rates for the future but not for work performed.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Thanks for your information.
Infolawyer, Lawyer