Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I feel that I am being treated unfairly. I have been ask,

I feel that I...

I feel that I am being treated unfairly. I have been ask, although it has been decided, that I be removed from helping with plowing snow due to having a bad attitude amongst a few fellow employees that I plow snow with in my work place. I am told that I cannot be told who is making this/these allegations. I find this unfair. It has come to my resigning from employment at this work place as I cannot continue with this harassment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Vermont

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will I guess and full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I guess there cold be other items to be discussed but mainly would like to know my rights. This is taking a bad effect on me physically and mentally.

1/17/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Are they doing this to you based ONLY on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?

I do not believe so.

Thank you for your reply.

I am afraid that under the law, according to the US Supreme Court, unless the alleged workplace harassment is based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, the laws were not intended to merely create a code of civility in the workplace. See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75 (1998).

What that means is that if this employee is complaining about your bad attitude making it up ONLY because of your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, you really have no rights other than to dispute the claims with your employer. You have no other legal actions you could take.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Okay I guess. This does not make sense. Harassment is harassment. It is costing me money and physical/mental strains. Thanks

Thank you for your reply.

While it usually does not make sense to the average employee, the US Supreme Court is pretty clear about harassment in the workplace and not one state has passed any laws for ordinary workplace bullying. So, unfortunately, until the law changes, your only recourse is refuting the claims against you to your employer.