Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If we have employees that reside in California, but are in…

Good Morning! If we have employees...
Good Morning!
If we have employees that reside in California, but are in Michigan helping out, we still have to apply California laws to those employees while thy are in Michigan correct? Please confirm. Thank You
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Yes, if they are temporary employees in MI, but are based primarily out of CA, you need to follow the CA labor laws regarding those employees and if there is some MI law that is more strict than a CA law, you will have to follow that law as well. It is a juggling act, but the most strict laws in favor of the employees have to be applied.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.