Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

One of my managers paid for an employee's CPR training on…

One of my managers paid...
One of my managers paid for an employee's CPR training on the company's credit card with the understanding that she will pay it back. She did not have the employee sign off on permission to take this money from the employee's paycheck and now is asking if we can take the cost paid for this training from the paycheck. I know some states only allow for certain deductions from a paycheck. I am wondering if this deduction can still be taken out of the paycheck if the employee gives the signed authorization?
1/16/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

No, this is not a standard deduction from pay. You need to get your employee to sign agreeing to deduction from pay or you need to tell them employee that they need to pay you lump sum. Your manager made a mistake, so you need to get your employee to sign, even if they sign now, or else you cannot deduct it from their pay.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney