Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is it ok to a boss scream at you and tell you to shut up.

Customer Question
Is it ok to...

Is it ok to a boss scream at you and tell you to shut up

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was not my fault the reason he was screaming over at me I was trying to explain when he just told me to shut up

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Employment Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Again, I'm sorry to hear this happened.

If this was a single isolated event then it isn't illegal, though frustrating and disrespectful.

However if this part of an ongoing problem where you are continually being subjected to this type of behavior, then you could be a victim of a hostile workplace environment.

If this is true, and you are being targetted or harassed because your membership of a protected class (age, race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, national origin, pregnancy, etc.), you can meet with an employment lawyer to discuss the possibilites of filing a lawsuit based on the violation of California state and federal laws against work place harassment.

These are some examples of a hostile workplace environment that could give rise to a lawsuit:

• Your employer or coworker exhibits verbal anger or aggression toward you (for example yelling);
  • Your employer or coworker exhibits non-verbal aggression toward you (for example: slamming things onto your desk in an aggressive manner);
  • Your employer or coworker communicates with you using offensive jokes or racial slurs;
  • Your employer or coworker belittles you based on your ideas, personal circumstances, work or opinions;
  • Your employer or coworker tampers with your personal belongings;
  • Your employer or coworker stalks, spies on, or pesters you;
  • Your employer or coworker threatens you with unwarranted punishment, termination, physical, emotional, or psychological abuse;
  • Your employer uses unfair tactics to block your progression, growth, or advancement within the organization

If you are or if you become subject to this kind of behavior in the future and it becomes disruptive to you performing your essential job duties, or interferes with your career progress, then you would have grounds for a lawsuit.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones