Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have been on ShortTermDisability since July 15th which…

I have been on...

I have been on ShortTermDisability since July 15th which covers 26 weeks, which took me into January. I also had Long Term Disability at the same time, but we have to re-enroll in October, (while i'm still on medical), is my Long Term Disability still valid in January?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have been on STD and asked my Aetna claims person in November what happens after my STD is over and was told that my LTD would start automatically. The LTD people are supposed to call so I can start a claim, but my question is should I still be covered under my LTD that I had while on my STD medical?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They have also been taking payments out of my STD pay checks to cover my LTD the whole time.
1/16/2018
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Your long term disability should kick in when short term sends here.It should amount to continuous coverage for as long as you are disabled.There should not be an interruption sin checks.You may want to call them to verify that you are still disabled to make sure they keep sending it to you as long as you need it.

I appreciate the chance to help you, prayers to you here.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I DO STILL HAVE IT, but they said that payment was stopped back in July or August, but the STD checks show that they were taking premiums out of my check up to now.My work said that because I had the coverage when I went on medical that I would still be covered, so was I still paying for it out of my disability check with no need and should I be able to get that money back?

You can ask for a refund here if you double paid.Confirm in writing that you were double charged and ask for refund of premiums.

Ray, Employment lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks
Ray, Employment lawyer