Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Philip. Graham again. In 2015 my immigration document (LCA)

Hi Philip. Graham again. In...
Hi Philip. Graham again. In 2015 my immigration document (LCA) stated I will be paid $96,000, per year I was paid $60,000 against my will and for some weeks not paid at all, although all was repaid in full eventually. Of course I am trying to keep the peace until I can port my visa to a more suitable employer, my immigration lawyer has said I should contact a contract lawyer as he says it is probably quite a serious breach of labor law. I might need to file a claim if I am dismissed.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Graham, was your agreement with this company for a salary of $96K?

I understand they put this into the immagration documents...but what was the agreement between you and the company?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My agreement was 96K, I did not accept a lower amount

Thanks
And sorry for the delay...just a moment, I have some thoughts and will type them up

Thanks for your patience.

If your agreement was $96K? Then they (your employer) have to pay this amount. Employment law is, essentially, contract law. You work, for the employer, for compensation that was agreed on by both of you. IF the employer is not honoring the agreement? You have a few options.

1. You can report this to the state labor board (MT department of labor and industry). You can see more information on this here

http://erd.dli.mt.gov/labor-standards/wage-and-hour-payment-act/filing-a-wage-claim
It may be they can help you collect the unpaid wages

2. You could sue them...you can sue to recover the money they owe you. But for the amount of money, you would need to hire an attorney to assist you...so I would start with reporting this to the state

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Philip. Many thanks for your advice.Graham.

:)

P. Simmons, Lawyer