Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im curious about if i should be paid overtime or not and my…

Customer Question
Hi im curious about...

Hi im curious about if i should be paid overtime or not and my boss is dening me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Cali

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No im just trying to see if i can fight it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
1/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is the situation?

Are you a salary or hourly employee?

Tell us the whole situation please?

Hourly

Please tell us the whole situation, if you do not tell us the whole story we cannot provide you an accurate answer. Thank you.

I work night audit at best western i work 11pm to 7am 4 days a week on sundays i get off at 7am and come back at 3 pm to 11 pm technically working 15 hrs in a day that count as ot?

Thank you for your reply.

Under CA law, you are entitled to overtime if you work more than 8 hours in the same work day. See: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_overtime.htm

The workday is a fixed 24 hour period, which means you are working more than 8 hours on Sunday and as such should according to the CA overtime laws be paid overtime at double time for working more than 12 hours in a work day.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.