Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My boss says that I have to move to a different location due…

Customer Question
My boss says that I...
My boss says that I have to move to a different location due to a family member working with me. I do not want to move to another location because all other locations are too far for me. What can I do? I cannot afford to leave to a further location due to being a student. What can I do to stay at this location. Apparently, I was told that I cannot work in the same place as a family member. I told them that I am not directly related to this employee. I am married to a third cousin of his and my employer says that I have to move to another location. I am not related to the other person by any means. How can i get through to my employer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
1/14/2018
Employment Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Being married to a third cousin is considered related enough to have to move?! I personally think that's insane and there's something more going on there with your boss... You could go to HR and try to get some clarification on the policy - and determine whether that even meets the definition of 'related to' at your company.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My dilemna is that I am a student and cannot commute to a different location. The problem is that the so called family member was hired when I was already at this Location. Management new about this and did nothing about this until now... How is this my fault?the only thing I see is that the family member was hired as a manager and this has a higher position than I do. Can I do something about this?

You'd have to find out the exact policy from HR - and determine whether your third cousin by marriage relationship actually meets their definition of 'related'... that's the job of HR, to help you with that. I'm assuming yours is at will employment, which means they can hire or fire anyone for any nondiscriminatory reason, so they could fire you if you meet their definition of family and you refuse to move to a new location. The issue is that you were there first and you could try to argue hardship if forced to move to an alternate location.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is hardship

Difficulty if you're forced to move to an alternate location.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney