Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question that I need answer tonight if at all

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question that I need answer tonight if at all possiably

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

I didn't have time to? my boss called me last night at 9:15 and told me to gather my belongings and leave but something happened earlier that day is why she told me that

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Can my boss let me go because I told a co worker what one of our outpatient told me ? Then that co work called and told the boss

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is full time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/10/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Are you a healthcare worker? What exactly did the outpatient say? Finally, are you in a union? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

No union and I work for a place that helps recovery addicts
I was let go last night because I had told a co work something that on of our outpatient had told me and then my boss let me go because she said I was spreading rumors

Thank you.

I'm afraid to say that if you are not in a union, employment in all states but Montana is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

This means you can be terminated based on the belief that you were spreading rumors or otherwise acting unacceptably. It may not be fair (and truthfully it doesn't seem very fair at all here), but it does not violate any employment laws. I am very sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Thank you for your help I just felt that my boss retaliation on me

It may very well be retaliation. However, retaliation is not illegal unless it occurs in response to an employee engaging in some sort of "legally protected conduct," as that term is defined above. For example, if you had recently complained about sexual harassment, you could argue that your termination here was retaliation for engaging in that protected conduct and that the stated reason for your termination (rumor spreading) was just a pretense to conceal your employer's true unlawful motive.

Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....