Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have severe asthma and I have just been told that I need

Customer Question
to ask for protection under...
I have severe asthma and I have just been told that I need to ask for protection under FMLA so that I do not lose my job. I am a 20
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am a 10 year employee at the Oceanside high school innoceandide New York
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I am a full time union member
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have contacted my doctor and asked that a letter be sent regarding my health condition.
Submitted: 7 days ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Under the Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”) eligible employees may take up to twelve (12) weeks off of their position to care for themselves or a family member that is dealing with a serious health condition. The employee is entitled to return to their same or similar job. A family member does not include in-laws, but does include a spouse and a child. or a parent. An eligible employee is one that has worked for their employer for the past twelve (12) months and has worked at least 1,250 hours in those past twelve (12) months. The employer must also be covered under FMLA before they are required to provide FMLA leave. A covered employer typically only has to have at least fifty (50) employees within a seventy-five (75) mile radius for at least twenty (20) workweeks in the current or preceding calendar year. Also, an employer is required to provide employees with notice of their rights under the FMLA And is required to provide you with notice of your FMLA rights when they have knowledge of a triggering event.

So, if your employer is eligible, which it probably is, then you may be owed some FMLA time. You may have to use some of your sick and vacation time over the period you're out; however, your job will be safe in any event.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Do I need to submit a letter asking for this protection
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
No

Not usually, but what would make sense is if you speak with your HR representative, they should provide you with the forms that they have so you can request FMLA. They should have a process set up for you entirely to help you out with this. Did you have any other questions for me?

Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Not now thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer